Thursday, July 7, 2016

Buzzer Beat Review

Buzzer Beat (2009) 
When you reach your 20s’ you start following your dreams. But when you reach the age of 24 it’s time to start making those dreams come true. That’s exactly what Naoki Kamiya (Tomohisa Yamashita), a professional Basketball player, and Riko Shirakawa (Keiko Kitagawa), a violinist, go through.

The story is fantasy-like because of how every character is connected and because of the events that occur, yet if feels very relatable. Meeting someone at the park, becoming friends and before you know it BOOM!!! you are in love. It’s also relatable because of the struggle they go through to achieve their dreams, having a job, making decisions, breaking up, supporting each other and making new friends. Those are things we can all relate to at that age. *SPOILER* Now, if the story’s purpose was to show the pursue of dreams, then they writer shouldn’t have set it so that they fell deeply in love and everything got solved in one moment, and in the next they part their separate ways to chase their dreams. It doesn’t make sense -at least to me. And worst of all, this happens in the last two episodes. *END OF SPOILER* This drama is only 11 episodes and I definitely felt if could have been 13 episodes long. One thing I seriously liked about this drama was the fact that the conflicts weren’t too serious or dramatic -not even the jealousy scenes. So thank god for that; none of the opposing parent, over-jealous ex, getting amnesia or anything. Although I do think that the last episode’s time skip was unnecessary.

In terms of the characters, some say that Yamapi (short for Tomohisa) acted a bit dry in his love scenes and that his stares weren’t romantic. But if you carefully look at his character, who is shy, and the progression of his relationship with Riko, or the change from one relationship to the other, you can see a difference in his character -it might be small, but then again, I am a fan of his so I may be bias. On that note, that is one thing I really liked about this drama; Riko’s character was upbeat and Naoki’s character was shy and reserved, so they complemented each other very well. In the drama Naoki and Riko go on about how much they need each other and is true, but in the end I felt like it was Naoki who needed Riko more than she needed him.  Concerning the other characters, I found Mai Ebina (Shihori Kanjiya) to be a great friend, mature for what I had seen in previous dramas, and funny. On the other hand, Natsuki Nanami (Saki Aibu) was so annoying and, honestly I didn’t seat well with her. Maybe it had to do with all the fake and pretenses she put in front of Naoki -she didn’t deserve him.  

The drama’s OST was catchy and fun. And since I’m talking about music, I’ll mention how silly, and a bit tiresome, it was that Riko always played the same piece with her violin -with minor additions here and there, but come on! couldn’t she have learned to mimic another piece. And I don’t know anything about the violin, but I think she was moving a lot every time she played it at the park.

Aside from those minor details, the drama is one I really liked. The billboard in the park stated the theme from the get go, and the drama is cute and easy going. In short, it a perfect drama for whenever you need a break -plus it’s short!


My rating for this drama is: ♥♥♥


No comments:

Post a Comment