Saturday, July 16, 2016

Descendants of the Sun Review

Descendants of the Sun (2016) 

For all the ladies, drama lovers out there, who wouldn’t like to be saved and protected by a capable, charming man in uniform with a killer smile and an even more dangerous sense of humor? This drama will have you exercise your cheekbones as you smile along with Song Jong Ki. I would have loved if somebody had warned me about falling in love with most of the cast -so if you haven’t seen Descendants of the Sun, you've been forewarned.


This story is about captain of the special forces Yoo Shi Jin (Song Jong Ki) falling in love with emergency room Dr. Kang Mo Yeon (Song Hye Kyo), and doing everything possible to keep their relationship after meeting more than a thousand miles away from home. Yoo Shi Jin will fight to protect his country and the woman he loves, but will Dr. Kang Mo Yeo be brave enough to enter to his dangerous world and follow her heart? I am not going to like, the story is not something new -guy falls for girl, guy will rescue girl from danger, girl finds it hard to admit her feelings, etc.- but what gives it a fresh feeling is the setting. The story takes place in a fictional place called Uruk which, I believe, opens up the possibilities for conflicts different from the tradition. Still, I am not too sure about the execution of the conflicts presented.

The conflicts were good, and each episode was entertaining with something always happening, but I felt the length of the conflicts weren’t enough -they were too short. *SPOILER* It has a confrontation to save a country’s leader, falling off a cliff, entering a mine field, rescuing children, a virus, a kidnap, and an earthquake. The only situation that lasted was the earthquake, and none of them were in real danger. *END of SPOILER* About the las part of the drama, back in Korea, what the bit of conflict there really necessary or productive for the lead’s relationship development? I’ll let you decide. I felt like the drama was purposely being prolonged -where that time could have been space for a previous conflict.

Concerning the characters, I appreciate Shi Jin’s straight to the point attitude; it was fresh and part of what made the drama so good! -at least for me. I also found the secondary characters’, Seo Dae Young (Jin Goo) and Yoo Myeong Joo (Kim Ji Won), love relationship really funny and a perfect side story. I was amused as it didn’t fill in for any love triangle, although the intent was there. It was a good addition and, if I may say so, almost as important as the lead’s, yet as good as them. If there’s anything I need to point out is Mo Yeon’s reaction when she reunites with Shi Jin -seriously? A comedy skit? -_-* Other than that, every character was on point. The music score also played an important part at setting the mood, not to mention the catchy feels they give. It has been a while since the last time I fell in love with a drama’s ost. And when you are watching you start to get the feels, the buildup for the songs haha!

I really liked the drama, its quirkiness, the relationships, the songs, even the villain. Despite what I pointed out about the conflicts, every situation was enjoyable. Be prepared to get your heart stolen by Song Jong Ki and Jin Goo -you have been warned!

My rating for this drama is: ♥♥♥


No comments:

Post a Comment