Saturday, September 24, 2016

W Review

W (2016)

This drama simply came to break people’s mind and the laws of reality and drama world. There is no other way to describe this piece of creativity. I don’t mean to exaggerate, but in all honesty, I wasn’t expecting much -and it wasn’t like TvN promoted the drama to the extend Uncontrollably Fond. But W exceeds story line, conflicts, and special effects’ expectations. Considering the amount of eye candy in the drama world, lots of girls -myself included- would love to find a way to travel into the manga world and end up with your perfect significant other.


W is about a manga character named Kang Chul (Lee Jong Suk) whose life is turned upside down after the murder of his family. Set to find the culprit of the act, he becomes a rich city hero. But when faced with death, he is saved by Oh Yeon Joo (Han Hyo Joo), a girl from the real another world outside the manga.

First off, the story is stupidly clever, fun, interesting and new. Clever in the sense that the write tied every incident in a neat way; from the characters and their purpose, to the solution to problems. The rules and inferences made to connect everything were acceptable I guess -is not like we have were to reference from. Fun because I couldn’t predict what was going to happen next. Yet, even if I couldn’t predict many things, I did see the ending coming -so points for me! And it was interesting and new because it was as if the writer himself was changing the story as the characters moved along. In addition, the element of fantasy gave room to play with the events and sequences. The conflict gave way to a room full of possibilities -being able to draw and erase your life as you please might be a new power to consider next time someone asks me which power I would rather have. [SPOILER! The feeling I got after Yeon Joo made everything a dream of his was a sad one. Of all the possibilities, for some reason I felt the situation could have been solved another way.] The strategy behind the identity of the villain was well crafted. Honestly, who would have thought of that solution? Same for the reason why Yeon Joo had so much power over the manga (SPOILER! she was the creator of the idea and him). Although, and I was very skeptical about this since I have experience with drawing but, it does not justify her drawing ability after years without practice -trust me, I know what I am saying.

I’ve always been a fan of Lee Jong Suk, and this time I wasn’t disappointed. He covered his emotions to the point. Han Hyo Joo, on the other hand, seemed to have been joking at times. Her acting wasn’t bad but her face features gave away a happy feel, like she was about to laugh at any moment. That aside, their chemistry was great. A character I wanted to see more of was Seo Do Yoon (Lee Tae Hwan), Kang Chul’s bodyguard and friend. Since he seemed to be the closest to Kang Chul, I thought he ought to be more in on the secret. Oh Sung Moo (Kim Eui Sung)’s character took me by surprise, thought I would have loved for him to explain or find a better explanation for the whole dimensional travel ability. Last but not least, Park Min Soo (Heo Jung Do), Yeon Joo’s boss, is a reflection of every fan out there. I was starting to get annoyed with his appearance, but luckily his attitude and screen time wasn’t much. Now that I mention Yeon Joo’s boss, I always wondered how she managed to be absent from work for a long period of time; she is a doctor after all -then again this is a drama.

It is no less important to point out that the special effects were awesome. The transitions from reality and drawings were neat and something different on screen. The teleportation square space resembling that of a monitor was well designed. The faceless villain was creepy yet necessary, since it played a major role in the whole conflict. And the onscreen manga captions cleverly reminded us we were immerse in another fictional world. As if the special effects weren’t enough, the OST was great. The songs were really pretty; both happy and sad songs helped set the mood and transition from scenario to scenario.

W managed to keep a steady pace, always leaving us with an exciting cliff hanger. At the end, every problem that had ever surface was solved, and every knot was untied. Just like this, W has rightly placed itself in my top 10 favorite dramas. I’m not sure if it will be the same case for you, but you will not feel disappointed to give it a try.

My rating for this drama is: ♥♥♥


No comments:

Post a Comment