Saturday, November 19, 2016

Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo Review

Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo (2016)

I came to watch this drama looking forward for the interactions between the eye-candy cast and IU. I got that to an extent, but then nobody told me how to prepare for this story. This drama has its good parts, but how come every time I felt it was going straight, an obstacle appeared. I watched this drama expecting a romantic story and I got something else. *sigh* Too much drama and not enough episodes!!

When Hae Soo (IU) travels back in time to the Goryeo era, she will need to adjust and try to avoid changing history, but surrounded by the king’s beautiful sons that task becomes a bit difficult day by day; especially with the arrival of the fearful prince Wang So (Lee Joon Gi). Will she be able to go back safely to her own time? Or will love tie her down to the throne in that era?

Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo had, or could’ve had I think, a good scaffolding yet not enough episodes to develop the events to their fullest. Either that, or the writer and director misdirected the story’s core. Because just when I thought I had the plot figured out I realized I didn’t. Part of it was due to too many complicated and unnecessary events. I would have loved if the change in event would have had a great impact in the outcome of the story, but these soon turned into nothing; just something that happened. In addition, I was fond of the continuous use of time skip. I wasn’t able to feel for the characters or the story because of the time skip. As if So and Hae Soo’s relationship wasn’t complicated enough, the writer decided to give them little time together to really and truly feel for each other -or at least give a reason for their feelings; because I had a hard time swallowing So’s logic of love towards Hae Soo. Another thing that was not explained was the time travel. I know this if a fictional story, yet Hae Soo somehow travel to the Goryeo era during a full eclipse of the sun and the reason why is not even mentioned or present in the story; even though you have a character like Choi Ji Mong (Kim Sung Kyun), an astronomer for the king. How is this so?

Ji Mong’s character was one that confused me the most. He apparently was from the same time of Hae Soo; His job was reading the stars for the current king; It was mention that since childhood, he would know stuff and said different thing -like an ability; but then, does that mean he didn’t know history yet? Because when he traveled to Goryeo he was still a kid? Then, how come Hae Soo recognizes him as an adult? Ji Mong was an adult in both times when Hae Soo saw him…this doesn’t make sense. The point is, Ji Mong told Hae Soon not to do anything that would change history, but if she had done so, Wang So would have been known as a tyrant king. *urgh* I’m moving on to the other characters. Speaking of Wang So, he was the complete victim in this drama, yet a big stubborn head till the end. I honestly started feeling for his character, until I got over it thank to the time skip and his attitude. I think this is the first drama where I cheer for secondary and third characters to end with the female lead. Hes character wasn’t bad, but the circumstances were. On the Other hand, I found no important purpose to Hae Soo’s character. [SPOILER: Sure she covered his scar, and was there for him in tough situations, but that’s the thing: she was just there! END OF SPIOLER] And I will admit, her character was annoying at times. She made poor decisions, she was defenseless most of the time, her heart changed constantly, she wasn’t even a considerate friend to Wang Jun (Ji Soo) and Baek A (Nam Joo Hyuk). Now, this two characters, Jun and Baek A, are great candidates for their own story; both tragic, but beautiful. Wang So’s story was also tragic, but his personality was not one that would reach to many -in my opinion. Before I wrap this up, I will point owt the villain of this story. In this case, the villain was the throne. This was both symbolic and unique. How power corrupts the heart of the weak and defies the strong. I found this a good twist and a change from the typical villainous character. Although there were those like Wang Yo (Hong Jong Hyun), Wang Wook (Kang Ha Neul) and Hwangbo Yeon Hwa (Kang Han Na), but these were, again, weak hearted characters -not powerful at all.

The beauty of Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo fell on the grat scenery, sets and the OST. For a period drama, the ost was modern and full of great memorable songs like “For You” by Chen, Baek Hyun and Xiumin of EXO; “Say Yes” by Loco and Punch; “Can You Hear MY Heart?” by Epik High feat. Lee Hi; and “A Lot Like Love” by Baek Ah Yeon, among many more -I will only mention these because otherwise I will end up listing the whole OST album. It is THAT good!!!

For a Reverse Harem anime lover like myself, this drama didn’t fill my expectations -in fact, they were crushed. The drama had potential, but I think it lost itself in trying to justify unnecessary things and not conveying romantic feelings enough. That is why I warn you: this is not a romantic story -at least not in my book. This is a subtle melodrama with an unsatisfying ending. You will need to see it to judge it yourself -I may be bias because I did not get what I expected. I’m not saying it was bad, but it could have been better.


My rating for this drama is: ♥♥