Sunday, August 14, 2016

Boys Before Flowers Review

Boys Over Flowers (2009)

Although the first Korean drama of many out there, myself included, this high school romance drama did not sit too well with me for a couple of reasons. But, if you are interested in a feisty, masochistic, classic cliché love story this drama might be right up your alley. In its defense, it is not that bad but it could have been better -I think.  


After saving the life of a student at a wealthy prestigious high school, Geum Jan Di (Gu Hye Sun), who comes from a poor family, is admitted to said school. On the other hand, Koo Jun Pyo (Lee Min Ho)is the spoiled heir to the conglomerate Shinhwa, and leader of the F4; a group of rich and good looking boys from the school -and his childhood friends. When Jan Di and Jun Pyo’s paths cross, it’s but a matter of time to find love, pain and friendship.

The story is based on the Japanese manga series Hana Yori Dango (Boys Over Flowers) by Yoko Kamio. The story depicted in the drama set path for trending plots in dramas -to not use the word cliché- and a new wave of Korean drama fans. I am a fan of the story in the manga, but when it comes to the tv dramas I am torn between the Japanese and Korean version. The reason I previously mentioned it could have been better is because of this same reason. The story presented in this version of the manga is well developed up to a certain point -there were moments I thought I was watching a melodrama instead of a romantic drama- but the characters were hard to take in; especially Jan Di’s character. I think that was what put me off. Jan Di’s character was too strong and didn’t leave space for honest reflection; in addition to having too much pride, although Jun Pyo was full of that too. But since they were both prideful characters, I believe she should have stepped down and let herself been taken care of. Her actions lost me most of the time. On the other hand, I could see the reasons for Jun Pyo’s actions, which made me believe his character and feel for him. Besides the delivery of the characters, there were moments I felt unnecessary conflicts or too prolonged dilemmas.

The rest of the F4 cast, Yun Ji Hu (Kim Hyun Joong), So Lee Jeong (Kim Beom), and Song Woo Bin (Kim Jun), did their job really well, even if I kept wishing for more story on them. I am glad for Lee Jeong and Choo Ga Eul (Kim So Eun)’s relationship development -something that was not 100% complete in the Japanese drama. This is one example of moments when this version, Boys Before Flowers, shone over the Japanese version.

On a different note, the cinematography was up to point. And it should have been if they wanted us to believe the whole rich environment scene. Let me tell you that it worked. The budget for this drama must have been a load. The story moves the setting from Seoul to Macau, which goes according with the chaebol role. The drama is covered with beautiful sets, houses, locations, scenery, etc. The props and costume department played an important role in this drama. Sound also help create the mood and make the story more compelling. In the end we get an iconic soundtrack, easily recognizable of the drama.

As mentioned, this drama was bright esthetically, and powerful in plot, yet some character’s delivery hindered the entire picture. Not to mention the ending, which was very different from what was expected and different from the Japanese version -if it was good or bad I’ll leave that to you; I have my reservations. The drama is still a matter of topic which reflects its success in many ways, from the debut of the actors to being loved internationally.

My rating for this drama is : ♥♥


No comments:

Post a Comment