Sunday, August 28, 2016

Doctor Crush Review

Doctor Crush (2016)

Clearly one of the loved dramas out there this season, Doctor’s Crush surely delivered in very surprising ways. And talk about a twist in dramas and the generation, I believe this is another example of different characterization and writing direction. If you haven’t seen this drama, you must! You will be in for mature yet childish love, life lessons, and plausible scenarios. Definitely one of my favorites -and not just saying that because I’m a Park Shin Hye fan ;)


Doctor Crush is a story about a two doctors, Yoo Hye Jung (Park Shin Hye) and Hong Ji Hong (Kim Rae Won), meeting after last seeing each other as student and teacher in high school. Will their relationship develop further? Or have her scars damaged her too much to thing about a happy future?

First off, although the story itself wasn’t new (the whole student-teacher romance), the twist on characterization made it look different. Yes, we have the selfish character that wants money and power; yes, we have the love triangle -or square; yes, we have the looking for justice; yes, we have the tragic past life of the leads -which involve the death of a parent; but all of it takes a different route because of the character’s development. The story had a sole purpose, and when it was accomplished it ended. This means that, although love tends to take a very important role in Korean dramas -at least on my opinion-, love felt like a second element to the drama; there to aid the leads chemistry. Instead of a romantic, it was about Hye Jung learning and coming to terms with herself and her past. Don’t get me wrong, there was a lot of romance and adorable scenes at that, but her main goal was never lost. That’s why the previous comment, the character’s portrayal had a very mature take on things without eliminating the cute moments -and somewhat childish at that- which is similar to reality.

That is why I keep emphasizing on the characters so much. The acting and chemistry, from not only the leads but also the supporting actors, were very believable. I won’t comment on the medical stuff because I am not an expert. I will give an A+ and 100/100 for honesty being a main character trait present in at least the main three characters, Jung Yoon Do (Yoon Gyun Sang) included. They were outright honest, which helped fasten the process of conversations, arguments, and clichés; especially on breaking clichés -I will give it a 9/10. As I mentioned Hye Jung’s goal in the drama and its accomplishment bringing the end of the story, I did feel a bit cheated out of some things. For example, Jo In Joo (You Da In)’s character seemed to just be there and mysteriously disappeared. In Joo’s purpose was not clear, because it was certainly not bringing jealousy -which was present, but didn’t last a reasonable amount of time. Also, Chun Soon Hee (Moon Ji In) and Ahn Joong Dae (Jo Hyun Sik)’s relationship, which wasn’t clearly developed. Instead, at the end it lets the audience assume the obvious -but in my opinion, it was really late in the game. Jin Myung Hoon (Eom Hyo Seop)’s character was also an interesting one. He was a very ambitious father and person, but he somehow gave off the feeling of still a son. These among other reasons is why I consider the characters and their portrayal to be what carried the drama.

Cinematographically speaking, the director presented beautiful sceneries, and great sets, just as Hye Jung’s home -which I think was fun and quirky. Soon Hee’s store was also cute. The soundtrack had a couple of memorable songs like “No Way” by Park Yong In, and “It’s Love” by Jung Yup -both songs with similar style.

In the end, I could happily say that the ending was satisfactory, the drama maintained a good pace, although in some episodes it felt a bit slow; and that I have a new eye candy actor in my list. I think it’s the wonders of Park Shin Hye. Honestly I couldn’t be more pleased and surprised at how well I digested the character’s upfront and honest attitude, but those are traits I would love to see in more dramas to come.


My rating for this drama is: ♥♥♥


No comments:

Post a Comment