Friday, September 23, 2016

Let’s Fight Ghost Review

Let’s Fight Ghost (2016) 

Surprise! Surprise! This was a most welcomed addition to my drama list. Nothing like treating the topic of ghosts and college life as an everyday thing. This drama is set up to lighten up the mood and be a retreat from other heavy dramas. Ok Taec Yeon hasn’t fail me yet, but I must admit his acting skills improved in this humorous action-suspense drama –and having gorgeous Kim So Hyun as his partner is even better. Not many will agree of this drama as a big hit, but it has its charm from the story and characters to the effects and the OST.

Let’s Fight Ghost is about Kim Hyun Ji (Kim So Hyun) wondering the world of the living as a ghost looking for a way to ascend to heaven, but when she meets exorcist Park Bong Pal (Ok Taec Yeon), she not only finds love, but that there is more to her death than what she expected. Fate has a way of connecting people in very interesting ways.

In truth, the story is really pretty and simple –so I don’t want to spoil everything that happens. But the writer made a great job at creating enough amount of incidents to build conflict, suspense, chemistry, and both a serious and funny mood in a 16 episode drama. Throughout the episodes we learn to care for the characters; we root for their success romantically and fighting ghosts. Not to mention that we spend most of the drama wondering how Bong Pal and Hyun Ji are related. –So great job writer! I have to admit that the ending was quick, although satisfying. Most of the story was centered on the paranormal with slices of “back to reality” here and there, that the bit of relationship-reality situations that did not occur during the drama, was pushed to the end.

One of the things that kept me watching, besides curiosity, was the two lead characters. The chemistry between Taec Yeon and So Hyun was adorable -on and off screen I should add. I kept searching for featured videos of them on set, and that just made their relationship on screen even more believable. Because their acting was really cute, nothing too complicated, yet good. Before I forget, I will point out that I would love to have Ok Taec Yeon Oppa as my boyfriend! God bless that man and his qualities. I have seen him in other variety programs, and so seeing his character in this drama is as if he wasn’t acting at all, except for the being able to see ghosts part. You might think I’m being bias over here but it is 100% true. Going back to the drama, the fact that they themselves did their stunts is even more pleasing. On the humorous side, the comic duo, Choi Chun Sang (Kang Ki Young) and Kim In Rang (David Lee), was a fresh addition with an easy-fix purpose. I say easy-fix because they play the tools to connect characters, situations, coincidences, and keep the action on the side moving; so they fixed the gaps easily and with a well-accepted –at least from my part- touch of humor.

Beside the story, the director gave us really cute and memorable scenes; like in the university, the rooftop, the amusement park, and …SPOILER! like the time Hyun Ji disappeared in front of him. Hence for this and creating the atmosphere, the locations were meaningful. They set a certain purpose that felt like everything belonged. The special effects and makeup were spot on with even a few jump scares. There were a couple of incidents that made me question Hyun Ji’s situation (with her back story and all) and so the intrigue was there. Like I mentioned before, the guessing how Bong Pal and Hyun Ji were connected was good, but so was figuring out the connection between them AND the professor. Thankfully, little by little those questions were answered.

In all, the pace of the drama ran fairly well, and the ost was cute and touching. I was left with a couple of songs in my head which I would start singing and silly dancing as soon as they appear on screen, such as “Console Myself” by Rocoberry and “Only See You” by Ryu Ji Hyun and Kim Min Ji. I will thank the writer and the director for all the “saving-her” parts –which I love because I am a sucker for that cheesy stuff. Oh the romance, hahaha! I definitely don’t regret watching this drama and I don’t think you will either.

My rating for this drama is: ♥♥♥


No comments:

Post a Comment