Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Cinderella and the Four Knights Review

Cinderella and the Four Knights (2016)

Looking for a classic tale with a modern twist, yet full of k-dramaism all over it? This is the perfect option. I will be honest and admit that I was not expecting much when I started watching this drama, but to my surprise I was hooked. Not to mention that in this version Cinderella doesn’t just get one prince but three and a half! And out of those four knights surrounding her, I would steal two away from her -no need for her to be that greedy; in the end, Cinderella ends up with one price. Everybody knows that!!

Cinderella and the four knights revolves around high school student Eun Ha Won (Park So Dam). Eun Ha Wom works various part time jobs to not only sustain herself and her mother’s ashes storage in the cemetery, but to also follow her deceased mother’s wishes to get into college. After finding herself in a tough situation, she decides to work as a part time nanny to a bunch of rich spoiled brats -as if cleaning around her house wasn’t enough.

Although expected in general because of the title, this drama had its twist and a good one. I liked seeing a modern and more plausible version of the classic Cinderella story. The conflict presented for the characters wasn’t a complex, but it was entertaining to see the relationship Eun Ha Won and Kang Ji Woon (Jung Il Woo) had -stating with their mother. At moments, there were signs of possible tension and more complications with the story between the leads, but I think the writer managed the situation and the character’s development pretty well. As in there weren’t many big clichés. Eun Ha Won as Cinderella did more than cleaning in this version; she had missions -and at least this time she was getting paid for the work. I will point out how the title says “Four Knights” but when it comes to her, it was more like three. Not to mention the character of Park Hye Ji (So Na Eun), which I will mention later again. So, I really though Ha Won was going to be the sole focus, like “all about her, and protecting her, and saving her from her stepmother and sisters,” and so, but I was wrong -you have been warned! Just as most of the drama was a modern version of the classic and it had a “reality” feel to it, it still had that fantasy element. How? Well, [SPOILER BEGINNING: the happy ending for every character was very fairy tale like to me. END OF SPOILER] No sure I agree, but I will not complain since it was good.

Eun Ha Won was adorable as a bunny and Kang Ji Woon was both hot and cute -how is that possible?! Gladly, I had another charming prince -and character of course- to love and fall for: Kang Seo Woo (Lee Jung Shin). CNBlue member was a great addition that had a way to make you feel for him. He is like your next-door neighbor who has always been there, everyone tells you that you will end up with him, and you know each other to a T. For these reasons, he felt more like a friend than a romantically involved knight. The fourth knight’s presence, Lee Yoon Sung (Choi Min), wasn’t linked much to Ha Won, so it was a pity. There was so much potential with his character in terms of creating a deeper connection and relation with Ha Won’s character. Concerning others, I was glad CEO Kang (Kim Yong Geon) was able to have a change of heart, yet I was displeased with Hye Ji’s character. I don’t think she was necessary nor a good character -both its development and the acting by the Na Eun. I felt like watching a Korean female version of Adam Sandler if you know what I mean -block expression. The sad part is that she wasn’t the only annoying character, the stepmother and stepsister were annoying to another level. I would consider this the only downfall of this drama, so if you look at it objectively, the positives are a bigger percentage.

To conclude, I will appreciate the smart solutions to the problem the characters faced, leading to less clichés and a fresh feel. Also, the beautiful cinematography and original sound track. The songs were fun and light hearted, depicting the mood and pace of the drama pretty well. This is a good drama, and I can predict it would be excellent for season or marathon re-watching.


My rating for this drama is: ♥♥♥


No comments:

Post a Comment