Sunday, December 11, 2016

I Remember You (Hello Monster) Review

 I Remember You / Hello Monster (2015) 

I Remember You will show you a serious and gorgeous side to Seo In Guk, followed by interesting crime cases being orchestrated and solved by unrealistically meticulous and genius people. It might not be the fastest paced crime drama out there, but it is well executed. In only 16 episode, you will watch a beautiful bromantic story between Seo In Guk and Park Bo Gum, with Jang Na Ra being the third wheel in a crazy love triangle. Come on! The story has got to be damn good for a bromance to flourish among…never mind. I will warn you, none of the relationships presented in this drama are healthy.


Cha Ji An (Jang Na Ra) is an elite detective that receives the help of expert criminal profiler Lee Hyun (Seo In Guk) for solving cases. But when a ghost of the past resurfaces, they will fight together to save lives and uncover their past.

The conflict presented in this drama is simple yet well executed; nothing like a good story of finding a lost brother and the cause of his loss. At first the story grabs you making you think that Lee Hyun is a monster, but later you realize is a story of two brothers finding themselves and getting back together. How? Well bumping into each other in every crime scene, police station or prison you know, because the world is small -specially in k-dramas. I will admit that the way each character was linked to one another was neat. For this a lot of backstory was needed, and usually only the leads tend to be connected by their past, but in this case other secondary characters were involved too. Korean dramas always include romance one way or another between the leads. I Remember You shows a bit of romance, but not enough to satiate my taste.

Production wise, the sets for both Lee Hyun and Ji An’s homes are great. I fell in love with their “houses”; clean and simple for a single lady -is that sad?! The other shooting locations were great though I found the police station small and with an unrealistic layout. Considering they work in a big building, the Chief of Police’s office is in a room that looks like a trailer and close to both the other detectives and the interrogation room without any privacy -that’s a mouth full; but not even in k-drama land.

Aside from the flop in that set, Seo In Guk’s portrayal of a genius profiler was on point. He fit his character pretty well, but personally, I would have loved more emotions -specially towards Ji An. Ji An on the other hand was full of emotions, and I loved that about her. Her character was fearless and I liked this, because it opened the doors to two things (which go hand in hand): first, it meant she would get herself in dangerous situations making Lee Hyun worried. Second, Lee Hyun would have to save her! Hahaha, I’m a simple person. It may sound cheesy and romantic, but most of the show was stolen by Jung Sun Ho (Park Bo Gum). I was not fond of Sun Ho’s character. Even as an attorney he was acting like a kid.

 


Really??? Why??? This looks so romantic! Urgh! I can understand Sun Ho wasn’t right of mind, but it felt plain weird. Plus, Park Bo Gum is too, too, too pretty for my linking, and acting like a kid did not help at all. Before moving on, I will point out that there wasn’t a secret to whom the bad guy was, because it was pretty obvious. The real tension was on when to spill the beans and how to deal with it. In that sense, the storyline and the events moved smoothly making me a happy audience.

For the ending of the drama, I could have tried and understand the time skip -yes, there is a time skip- but was it really necessary? It was like a year to catch up with your ill little brother, because I don’t want to call him crazy, and then go back to your understanding girl. Is there a point in that? Can’t three people live together? Now, this is my “sucker-for-romance” side speaking. My “objective-writer” side tells me it was a beautiful story, and a time for Lee Hyun and Sun Ho to be together without interruptions; all Lee Hyun’s attention focused to his brother. Nothing wrong with that. I will mention that I would love to have Lee Hyun as a big brother if it meant to be treated as he did to Sun Ho.

In all, I Remember You was entertaining with a couple of plot twists and surprises, and we love those in criminal dramas; complex characters and even more complicated backstories. This is the recipe for a good drama.  


My rating for this drama is: ♥♥


No comments:

Post a Comment