Thursday, June 23, 2016

Doctors Drama First Episode Review

“Doctors” (2016)


Well, ever since I watched my first drama with Park Shin Hye I’ve been a fan of hers so there was no doubt that I was going to watch this drama. What I didn’t expect was to be surprised, exited and love the other characters from the very first start. These two first episode shed hope for me and my new summer drama “Doctors”.

Considering the drama has 20 episodes the first two, and the third from what I could see from the preview, have done a pretty good job at establishing the setting and the character’s background. The fact that the main characters themselves, Hong Ji-Hong (Kim Rae-Won) and Yoo Hye-Jung (Park Shin Hye), are very straight forward with their thoughts and don’t beat around the bushes speeds up the process of moving the scenes while still teaching us about their characters. At the same time, their characters present a fresh side to the previous characters I’ve seen in dramas. Since I’m talking about the characters I’ll take this time to point out that I’m curious as to how will the love story between teacher-student will play out. I have so many questions, for example doesn’t it take more than 5 years to study medicine and become a doctor? So far we haven’t been told how old the doctor is, but I’m pretty sure that after Hye-Jung graduates and they meet as doctors the age will not matter. Still, I’m curious as to what they will do to be in a relationship. For this scenario I’m asking considering Hye-Jung’s personality. I also loved their chemistry. At first when I saw the teaser I wasn’t sure it it would work since Kim Rae-Won looks much older than Park Shin Hye, but it works. Like I said, I started watching this drama because of Park Shin Hye, but it was Kim Rae-Won’s characters which kept me smiling the whole time. Still Yoo Hye-Jung is a new character for Park Shin Hye and she played it wonderfully – action and personality all included.

Now for the rest of the cast like the doctors at the hospital, we got a glimpse of what might happen and what some characters are after – which it doesn’t seem like will be any different from conflicts of other dramas “this doctor wants to be the director of the hospital and whishes the current director’s death or at least harm”. Although I can see that happening, and I hope I’m wrong, I found Jin Myung-Ho (Eom Hyo-Seop) personality nice, which confused me a bit. Maybe is his father alone the one that wants the director’s position. Will my prediction come true?

So far from my drama clichés on these two episodes we had number one, the two main characters meet on bad terms. And this one was the one that had the whole thing started – I actually found Ji-Hong’s reaction to Hye-Jung’s personality funny and endearing. I think I’m starting to fall in love with another character *slap my face into reality* Number two is the tragic background. Our female lead had one hell of a childhood, apparently in the whole sense of the word, and our male lead had two traumatic experiences. I won’t go into details since not much has been presented but that is basically it. Number three, and this one is more of a scene than something relate to the plot, is the scene were the two leads are waiting under the roof of some shop for the rain to stop. When I saw this scene and I recalled Park Shin Hye with Jun Yong Hwa on Heartstring; she even extended her hand and all to touch the rain. Oh! A very important one and number four on the list: our leads live together. Otherwise how will they get to know each other, get the chemistry moving, meet and understand each other? For number five and as if a love triangle wasn’t enough, we have a love square. Although for this one, is still unclear if the second male character will play a big enough role to make that triangle a square. Still, for these two episode I declare it a square even if the characters themselves do not know it. It has been only two episodes, I already have big clichés -important ones at least for me- and I think I’m doing more harm than good, so I will stop here. If I keep seeing more big/ important clichés I will write them down on the following episodes.


On a last note, and beside the clichés I just pointed out, I saw new and refreshing choices by the direction crew (director, writer included) which makes me very excited for the next episodes to come. I will leave with this; based on the last scenario, who will sacrifice for whom? The line between friend and lover has been crossed. Who will admit it first? I can’t wait to find out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment