Monday, April 10, 2017

My Lovable Girl Review

My Lovable Girl (2014) 

The term “daddy long legs” is well known in the drama community, and every girl wishes to have one. So if you are looking for the ultimate daddy long legs example, you have come to the right place. Jung Ji Hoon (Rain) as daddy long legs will charm you with his cute smile, hot body, and his smart and cute dog―because I love dogs. What happens when the beneficiary and daddy long legs, the benefactor, fall in love? In this case, more than music happens!


My Lovable Girl is a story about composer and producer Lee Hyun Wook (Rain) approaching aspiring songwriter Yoon Se Na (Krystal) to help her achieve her dreams in the music industry and make a living. Things get complicated when helping turns into loving and Hyun Wook hides a dark truth about Se Na’s sister that he will do anything to hide from her. Will they be able to compose a hit love story or will their past break the melody? SPOILERS AHEAD!

I am having trouble categorizing this drama because if you think about it, it has material to be a good melodrama, but the happy ending and acting made it an unsatisfactory drama. Considering the backstory of this couple, that he was the boyfriend of Se Na’s sister and that now he fell in love with Se Na, you have material for a sad and complicated love story; yet the writers opted differently. It’s true that the couple had difficulties, but the opposing force in them being together was lacking. Not to mention that I’m not sure if the entertainment industry environment was a good element or if it hindered the potential development―though it was interesting at times. I point this out because aside Hyun Wook not being able to compose music because of his trauma, the scenario could have been any other. In addition to the uncertain aftertaste of this drama, it had supernatural elements used to try and justify coincidence―because the writers were lazy enough to not use their last thread of creativity and bring everything up in a nice and believable way. There were also some unnecessary situations: like Hyun Wook’s father and stepmother conflict―time that could have been spent in a deeper connection between Hyun Wook’s fater and his reason for opposing Se Na. Another thing that didn’t sit right with me was Se Na’s actions at the end. Her actions, leaving Hyun Wook, weren’t justifiable. It felt like the writers wanted to throw another problem without time for us to digest it because the drama is only 16 episodes long.

I believe the main reason for the lack of feeling, conflict and truthfulness was the acting. WRONG CHOICE OF FEMALE LEADING ROLE! Krystal was a walking emotionally-dead brick. I’m not sure if it was on purpose as part of her mellow character or if she really failed to convey the emotions through acting. For example:

1. Se Na seducing Hyun Wook at the club
2. Se Na looking at Hyun Wook with anger and disbelief
3. Se Na looking at Hyun Wook for the first time after a year
4. Se Na while being kissed
5. Se Na being surprised in Hyun Wook’s arms
6. Se Na looking at Hyun Wook with…loving eyes? 
7. Se Na surprised (again) in Hyun Wook’s arms


And that’s without showing how she reacted when she found out the man she loves used to be her sister’s boyfriend. Oh wait! I did―similar to one above. I mean, I don’t want to burn her completely, but I just felt sorry for Rain. He didn’t have the emotional support and feedback he should have received from her for him to show his acting; Rain did a better job than Krystal―not saying he deserves an Oscar, but that he did better. The writers were either going for a mellow vibe in their casting or the casting was a flop. Shi Woo (L)’s character, along with Bae Sung Ji (Alex), Shin Hae Yoon (Cha Ye Ryun) and other secondary characters suffered the Krystal brick syndrome here.

Now, this is my personal preference talking, but I didn’t like the age gap, which I believe contributed to the lack of empathy from me towards their relationship―at least from my part. It was evident in every embrace Hyun Wook gave; they didn’t kiss, they hugged most of the time. I love hugs, but here it looked like the kind of hug your brother would give you when you are having a tough time. I’m not saying it was bad, just that this action showed the real age difference between the two actors.


Se Na’s friends, Joo Hong (Lee Cho Hee) and Sagong Chul (Park Doo Sik), were a good interesting and fun couple to have around; their bickering was cute. But until the end, the acting in general was “meh”.

On a positive note, the drama was esthetically pleasing: great locations, pretty sets, tone and colors. The soundtrack was a major plus and my favorite part of the drama. It helped set the mood the acting couldn’t. The songs were catchy, memorable and on point with their mood and theme. It was a pity that the last song, the one Hyun Wook composed for Se Na, wasn’t revealed. I think it would have been a more appropriate and satisfying ending.

Honestly, what attracted me to this drama was the soundtrack and Rain―me being completely honest here. My Lovable Girl is not a bad drama, but the direction could have been something more; something better. I think you will fall for Rain’ smile like I did. I am going to take this moment to give thanks to the wardrobe designer for giving Hyun Wook (Rain) tight clothes―those muscles were eye candy. He also showed a cute and sometimes vulnerable yet mature side; something very attractive for me at least. But, you be the judge!

My rating for this drama is: ♥♥♥



No comments:

Post a Comment